Wednesday, January 5, 2011

R.I.P. 2010 (January 1, 2010-December 31, 2010)

A life cut short.

No, seriously, last year sucked.  I know everybody else is piling on, and it's bad form to hit a year when it's down, but 2010 was an epic disaster, personally and globally.

Massive unemployment continued, the war in Afghanistan continued, the Gulf of Mexico exploded, Haiti exploded, Greece imploded, the only Republicans who lost their federal races were either former witches or guys who dressed like members of the Waffen SS, Sarah Palin got a TV show about shooting animals, Snowmaggedon and Snowpocalypse both struck, my mother died of lung cancer, Ted Sorensen died, Tony Curtis died, Elizabeth Edwards died, and every top song featured autotune.

On the plus side, we have "Fallout: New Vegas," a trip to Cardiff, a great run of "Chicago" with the Georgetown Gilbert & Sullivan Society ("A Midsummer Night's Dream" opens next month: come see me playing Egeus) and the discovery that I can rock a fedora.  Nationally, we got rid of a few truly bad laws, made a few good new ones, pretended to end the Iraq War, and--though it's not my thing--the McRib returned.  Internationally, Putin sang "Blueberry Hill."

Can't even pretend I'll miss 2010.  Good riddance.

No comments:

Post a Comment